36 published attacks
Husky Mixes kill 2-yr-old child in Canada- two dogs were later euthanized. Child was being babysat, "escaped" and was mauled by two of four chained dogs.
Pit Bull kills 81-yr-old male in United States- the dog was running loose, attacked the elderly man. Man later died from injuries sustained.
Pit Bull kills 71-yr-old female in United States. Dog jumped fence and attacked woman in her garden.
Mixed Breeds kill 4-yr-old female in Australia. Six dogs were kept chained in backyard and were used as hunting dogs. A 4-yr-old female who knew the dogs climbed over two sets of fences and entered the backyard. Two of the dogs attacked and killed her. All six dogs were euthanized.
Wolf-Dog Hybrids kill 50 yr old female in United States. Woman kept nine wolfdogs in a small pen. Unknown which wolfdogs killed woman. All were shot and killed.
- major, dog escaped from backyard, attacked toddler playing on front lawn.
- Moderate, police dog attacked trainer during a bank robbery investigation. Dog was shot and killed. Dog has history of aggression towards trainer.
- moderate, police dog is permitted to jump on person petting him. Dog bites him in the face.
- moderate-major, dogs loose, dogs remain with owner after attack
Cattle Dog Mix
- minor-moderate, loose dog attacks child on bike.
Cocker Spaniel mix
- moderate, food aggressive dog is approached by child, dog attacks. Dog euthanized.
- major, child falls on dog while dog is sleeping. Dog attacks.
- major, dog usually kept chained. Toddler approached dog while he is feeding. Dog mauls child after breaking free from chain. Dog euthanized.
- minor, dog running loose
- minor, dog and child were playing supervised when dog nipped
- major, housekeeper brought child over to check on dogs while owners were away. Child alone with dog when attack happened. Dog was a conformation dog. Dog most likely euthanized.
-major, child was alone with dog, dog bit child's head (100 stitches), dog returned to kennels.
- moderate, dog running loose with a Lab Mix and attacked child on front lawn. Lab Mix shot and killed.
- moderate, dog was normally chained. Broke from chain and attacked passerby.
- moderate, dog running loose.
- minor, GSD running loose with Dachshund. Both dogs attack victim on bike. Both dogs also attack officer trying to intervene.
- moderate, dog was running loose and attacked child.
-moderate-major, dog was tethered in front yard. Victim knew dog. Victim's loose tennis ball entered front lawn. When child bent to pick up ball, dog attacked.
-moderate, dog was walked on leash. MOther of victim permits child to pet dog as dog walks by, dog attacked.
Labrador Retriever Mix
- moderate, dog running loose with a German Shepherd and attacked child on front lawn. Dog was shot and killed.
- major, two dogs, unknown circumstances
- moderate, police dog mistakes bystander for robbery suspect.
- moderate, dog was leashed, child asked to pet dog. child reached over dog's head to pet and dog attacked.
- major, unknown circumstances
- moderate, two dogs escaped from apartment. Un-neutered male attacked 2-yr-old female. Dogs are returned to owner.
- major & moderate, two dogs running loose, attack two victims.
- minor, owner of dog opens gate, dog escapes and bites woman.
- minor, two dogs running loose.
- minor, dog let out by 12-yr-old babysitter. Dog is shot and killed.
- moderate, dog running loose
Pit Bull Mix
- major, infant is shoved in face of dog who has never met child. Dog was euthanized.
Rhodesian Ridgeback_Bull Terrier Mix
- unknown severity, unknown circumstances
- moderate, dog running loose.
- major, dog being walked by a 13-yr-old male. Victim knew dog, approached to pet. When child turned away, dog attacked.
Staffordshire Bull Terrier Mix
- moderate, unknown circumstances
Date: July 30, 2006
Victim: 16-month old child
Circumstances: Dog and child were supervised. Dog and child were playing. Dog nipped at child's eye, broke the skin.
A toddler is recovering after he was bitten by a doberman over the weekend.
The 16-month-old was playing with the dog at a home in the east end when the animal nipped at him, breaking the skin above his left eye.
The dog has never bitten anyone before however, animal control officers have said the dog will have to be restrained. Anytime a dog has bitten a human or another animal, it has to be under a muzzle order.
The child's mother has asked that no charges be laid against the dog's owner. The extreme heat may have played a role in the attack, causing the dog to be more irritable.
Location: Huntington, West Virginia
Circumstances: Dog loose.
HUNTINGTON -- A Huntington family is looking for the dog they believe bit their
14-year-old son earlier this week.
Michele Blake lives in the 300 block of 10th Avenue, and she says a brown-spotted Dalmation bit her son as he walked along the 9th Avenue side of Cammack Elementary and Middle schools Tuesday evening. Blake said the dog bite broke the skin around her son's abdomen, but did not require stitches
Unless the family finds the dog or its owner, Blake fears her son will be subjected to a series of rabies shots before the end of next week.
In order to avoid the shots, Blake said her family needs to have the dog quarantined or hope the owner shows proof that the dog was properly vaccinated prior to the bite.
Blake said she believes her fear of the shots is enough to worry any parent.
"For a 14-year-old to have to go through that painful series of shots unnecessarily is a big deal to me, and it's a big deal to him," she said
Location: Osceola County, Florida
Breed: Pit Bull
Victim: 81-yr-old male
Circumstances: Dog running loose. Unknown.
An 81-year-old man was hospitalized Friday after he was attacked by a pit bull dog in his neighborhood, according to Local 6 News.
Sheriff's deputies in Osceola County, Fla., responded to a dog bite at 1055 West Tropicana Court in Kissimmee, Fla.
When officers arrived, they found the victim lying on the ground with serious injuries to his legs, a news release said.
neighbor said he attempted to get one of the dogs off the victim by shooting at the animal.
The victim was airlifted to Orlando Regional Medical Center but his condition was not known.
Animal Control picked up the uninjured pit bull.
Deputies are investigating the incident.
Locatin: Kansas City, Kansas
Breed: Pit Bull
Victim: 71-yr-old female
Circumstances: Unknown. Woman was in her garden, dog jumped fence and attacked. Dog and another pit bull mix were taken by animal control.
Link: http://www.thekansascitychannel.com/news/9586066/detail.htmlKANSAS CITY, Kan. --
A 71-year-old woman died Thursday when she was attacked by a pit bull, officials said.
Jimmie May McConnell was in her garden at 3100 Longwood Ave. at about 11:30 a.m. when the dog jumped the fence and attacked her.
Firefighters had to hit the dog with an ax and a pole to get it off McConnell, officials said.
"The dog was still on the victim," Assistant Fire Chief Craig Duke said.
Location: Lexington, North Carolina
Breed: Pit Bull, two dogs
Victim: 26-yr-old female
Circumstances: Unknown, dogs have been confiscated.
LEXINGTON, N.C. A 26-year-old Davidson County woman is in serious condition today after she was attacked by two pit bull dogs.
Police in Lexington say they found Kelly Lynn Bell lying in a ditch with several severe dog bites on her body. She was taken to Baptist Hospital for surgery.
Authorities are holding the dogs while they investigate the incident, and NO charges have been filed yet.
Location: Cambridge (Canada)
Breed: German Shepherd
Victim: adult female
Circumstances: Dog was normally chained. Broke from chain and attacked woman passing by. Dog is being quarantined.
A German shepherd has been seized after attacking a Cambridge woman yesterday morning.
The woman, 47, was walking along a path between Kerr and Main streets around 5:45 a.m. The dog broke free from a chain at a nearby house and rushed towards her.
It bit the woman on her right leg and right hand before running away. She was taken by ambulance to Cambridge Memorial Hospital for treatment.
The German shepherd was found at its owner's home, where it had been chained. The dog was taken by animal control officials.
There was no record of vaccination. The dog will be quarantined for 10 days while police, the regional health unit and the city investigate
Location: Amherst, Massachusetts
Breed: Pit Bull, two dogs, one un-neutered male involved in attack (the other dog was netuered, not involved)
Victim: 2-yr-old female
Circumstances: Dogs live in same structure as victim. Dogs escaped, the intact male attacked the little girl. Dogs will be returned to owner with stipulations.